Trump Administration Backs Off Shutdown Suspension of TSA PreCheck

“As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case-by-case basis and adjust operations accordingly,” a TSA spokesperson said.

Air passengers heading to their departure gates enter TSA pre-check

John Raoux/AP

The Department of Homeland Security said Sunday that its TSA PreCheck program would remain operational, contradicting an earlier statement from the agency announcing that the service would be suspended alongside Global Entry, another airport security screening program.

The popular programs allow travelers to proceed through security checkpoints faster by allowing for advance vetting, and any suspension will likely lead to greater wait times for passengers at airports across the country.

“As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case-by-case basis and adjust operations accordingly,” a TSA spokesperson said in a statement.

Earlier Sunday morning, DHS Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement that both the Transportation Security Administration and Customs and Border Protection would be “prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry” during the department’s ongoing funding lapse.

In addition to the programs for the general public, DHS is also suspending its customary security escorts for members of Congress and their families traveling through airports.

“Without appropriations, TSA simply cannot afford to risk overstretching our staff and weakening our security posture,” the statement said. “Until funding is restored, all travelers should expect a process that does not sacrifice security, but refocuses TSA officers to standard screening procedures.”

The Washington Post reported on Sunday that the reinstatement of TSA PreCheck came after conversations with the White House.

Congressional Democrats blocked a DHS funding bill from passing as part of the larger federal appropriations budget earlier this year, triggering a partial government shutdown for the department. Lawmakers failed to successfully negotiate while a two-week temporary funding package was in place, and ultimately returned to their districts on Feb. 13 without any resolution to the impasse.

Democrats are pushing for a host of reforms to the agency following the shooting deaths of two American citizens during immigration enforcement operations in Minneapolis earlier this year.

In a statement on Sunday, President and CEO of Airlines for America Chris Sununu said Noem’s announcement is a concerning sign that “the traveling public will be, once again, used as a political football amid another government shutdown.”

Democrats on the House Committee for Homeland Security echoed the concern, saying in a post on X that Noem is “punishing travelers…kneecapping the programs that make travel smoother and secure.
They’re ruining your travel on purpose.”

Noem also said on Sunday that on top of the TSA changes, the Federal Emergency Management Agency would be halting all non-disaster efforts, prioritizing only disaster relief.

“FEMA cannot continue normal recovery operations under these conditions and must prioritize only its most critical, life-saving responsibilities,” Noem’s statement read. “Full recovery and assistance operations will resume once funding is restored.”

Lawmakers are set to return to Washington, D.C., on Monday, though it does not appear that Democrats and Republicans are nearing an agreement on how to fund DHS.